Sample Interview Questions For Production and Manufacturing Engineer - Part 1
Question : What is production engineering ?
- Production engineering is a professional practice of manufacturing technology with management science. The goal is to accomplish the manufacturing processes effectively and efficiently.
- The curriculum of Production engineering encompasses the contents with engineering materials, casting technology, machining technology,physical and mechanical joining processes, tool enigeering, metrology, manufacturing systems, automation and Rapid manufacturing.
- In a typical industry, once the design is realized, production engineering concepts regarding work-study, ergonomics, operation research, tooling, manufacturing management, materials management, production planning, transportaion etc., play important roles in efficient production processes.
Question : What is the difference between manufacturing and production ?
- Production is the process of converting inputs into outputs through various operations.
- All the operations which demands consumption of resources together known as manufacturing. The difference is in the raw material.
- In production, the raw material is not procured from outside, the company owns it and after processing and make the final product. But in Manufacturing, the company procures the raw material from outside, and then makes the final product.
- Manufacturing is a process of converting raw material in to finished product by using various processes,machines and energy. Production is a process of converting inputs in to outputs.
Example : Making of a turbine by various processes is manufacturing, & Assemble the various parts to make a engine is production not manufacturing.